28 August 2007

Things I love from the last week...

1. Wienies and Kraut
I know half of you are saying "eww" and the other half don't have a clue what I'm talking about, but this classic German dish was a staple of my childhood (as my mother's maiden name is Pitzing, and that couldn't be more German). Apparently, as a young child I hated the kraut part and made my mother pick off every last piece before serving it. Little did she know that I remember LOVING the taste of the kraut, but hating the texture (she just thought I was being a brat).

I started craving this simple dish about 2 weeks ago. Especially the smell it fills the kitchen with. It's a strange vinegar aroma and makes my mouth water instantly! Yum. So, I called my mom for the very short recipe which includes a little onion powder, Bavarian kraut, and hot dogs (is it ironic that I use jewish hot dogs for this German dish???). You throw everything into a pot on the stove (cut up the dogs first) and cook till the kraut softens and the wienies are done. Too good. Conner hates it.

2. Cabbage Patch Newborn named Ashlyn
They didn't have any boy cabbage patch kid's in the "newborn" size.
We broke down after Ashley's stint with the cabbage patch doll and bought Conner one too. We brought it home, opened the box and Conner fell in love. He immediately started hugging and kissing the doll, was ultra sweet and even fed it a bottle. I emptied out a diaper box and made a bed for it. Conner put her to sleep saying "Night night". Adorable. Then...














...He climbed in with her.

So far, things are going well with this "practice baby". He is super sweet and the process has actually made me feel better about bringing another little one home. Yay.

3. I'm Huge
As in "being so big that I can't see anything past my belly button until you reach my lower thigh". Yeah.. so I actually don't like this one, but it is worth noting. Michael told me yesterday that I am approaching the size I was during my 8th month of pregnancy with Conner. That's great. No wienies and kraut for him. For those of you who have not experienced the joy that is not seeing your private parts for months, here's a bird's eye view:















The second pic is just of me entering my 23rd week minus, of course, my head. I really don't know how I can get too much bigger without exploding first. When is December going to get here???!!!


4. "Where's Fog?" "SEE!"
This is a great game to play with Conner... that is.. for the first 20 minutes. Michael has a small obsession with catching the 15 million species of frogs that come out after a good rain here in Montgomery. Seriously, we had to stop the car one night as we turned onto our street because he needed to chase a frog. Conner has quickly caught on to his daddy's passion for amphibians, and can now be found at almost any moment of the day with his "geen fog" (that's green frog for those of you who don't speak toddler), which is basically two small plastic green toys. One is actually a turtle and the other a lizard. Funny we didn't have any frogs...

You see, "geen fog" LOVES to hide (in Conner's hand, behind his back). Conner comes up to you and says "Where's fog?". You, in turn, are expected to reply "I don't see the frog! Where did it go?" to which Conner replies "Idunno" then he pulls out his hand, opens it up and says "See!". Fun. Problem: he won't stop! But it is super cute and he is coming up with ways to hide the frog better (in boxes, your shirt or in a cup for example).

5. Cherry Limeade
I made the mistake of hoping in the car every time I wanted one of these and driving to Sonic. Stupid me. I probably gained 10 lbs in chili cheese coney's alone (at 9:30 a.m. no less). So, I finally decided to give it a shot. The easiest thing I've ever done and I love it! All you need is one can of lemon-lime soda (I started buying the Publix brand, but Sprite and 7-up are obviously good choices). Mix in 2-3 tablespoons of cherry syrup ( use a little more) and 1-2 tablespoons of lime juice. Pour it all over crushed ice and enjoy! Let me know if you wanna come over for one!

6. It's Mary's Birthday Today!
She's old. 24. Is it just Mary and I, or does 25 sound really old? Almost as if 26 sounds better... maybe we will just skip that year. Anyways, happy birthday Miss Mary! Now come get your present because I'm fat and lazy.

4 comments:

  1. wow. there were so many different random subjects in here, I don't even know where to comment! sour kraut and wierners sound good though. and happy birthday mary! oh and I don't know why you didn't get him a boy doll when you had the option! HILARIOUS. There are other stores, ya know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an explosion of a.d.d.! Ha.

    They seriously didn't have any newborns that weren't girls... they had a boy cabbage patch KID, but he was as big as Conner. I was SO excited about getting it, that I just settled on the girl. Plus, she's cute! Conner will never know... The boys have weird hair anyways..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun stuff! I understand about feeling like you can't get any bigger without exploding.

    And btw, let's not complain about 25..I am about to turn 28.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm...I posted a comment on here yesterday & now it's gone. Anyway, I was just saying that I don't like kraut, but I LOVE Sonic's cherry limeades and chili cheese coneys! Mmmm.

    And you should also take into mind that most of your readers are older than you, so you're not allowed to complain about your age. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments! I LOVE Comments!

I Blog For...

BirminghamMommy