23 October 2007

Some Cravings Just Aren't Worth It.

This past weekend Michael, Conner and I played host to a wonderful Bama game with our friend James (sans his wife, Laura). James is a connoisseur of all things yummy and strange, usually stuff that only I can appreciate - like wing sauce on fries and sour kraut w/ brauts. Too good. Well, James brought with him some delicious Johnsonville Smoked Brauts and we grilled. I, being the emptier of the frig, decided to also cook 2 hotdogs, leaving 2 in the package for later. We grilled them and I enjoyed both the brauts and the dogs... only to realize that the hot dogs were delicious but nearing their shelf life.

So last night, I decided to take advantage of our "no food in the house" status, and cook off the last 2 hot dogs while Michael and Conner made sandwiches (I was going to share, promise!). I am the cook and the grill person in the house, although Michael does enjoy grilling too. So, I went outside to start the grill.

It had been rainy all day and thus the starter (ignitor) was a little wet. I didn't realize that at the time though, and turned on the gas. I pressed the ignitor button once... then twice... leaned down and turned up the gas to max and pressed it again - no flame. So, I waddled inside to find the lighter.

I must have been gone 20 seconds, I always keep the lighter in the first drawer of the bar. I walked back outside, lighter in hand, determined to eat my hot dogs and fearing that the gas was finally out (it has been trying for a few weeks now). So, I flicked the flame once, no spark, then again ....


BOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!

A ball of flames comes barreling out of the grill, up my arm, then my chest, my face and above my head. I hear Conner yell "wooww!". I panicked. My right hand was on fire for a few seconds and then lingered with the smell of burnt flesh and hair. I immediately checked my face as I ran inside. Michael had missed the whole thing - Conner was still thinking that mommy was the coolest.

I met Michael in the living room and I couldn't get anything out of my mouth. It scared the crap out of me, and I was just concerned with getting my burning arm in some cool water and searching for the lidocaine. In the bathroom, I checked my eyebrows and eyelashes which were scorched but present. I lost a good amount of baby hair around my hairline. My right arm is totally hairless and red. My hand is burnt, all 5 fingers and knuckles were killing me all night with some blistering and lots of redness.

I still ended up getting my hot dogs grilled though... but they weren't worth me nearly loosing my arm (or my hair for that matter!). The lesson learned is this - either turn off the gas when searching for the lighter... or just get Michael to do the grilling!

4 comments:

  1. Well, at least you're Conner's hero.

    Hope everything heals up..burns are the worst, and I'm glad you didn't have a heart attack in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YIKES!!! I'm glad you're ok! I would have freaked out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahaha! crazy!!!! at least you know how to work a grill...I can't even do that. sad. I hope your arm feels better...are you sure you don't need to go to the doc??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky for me, I'm a hairy beast. It burnt off a TON of hair, but I don't miss it.

    The burns on my knuckles are getting better and the small places on my hand and arm are already better, just a little tender to touch.

    The heart attack in the process, Jamey, was my biggest concern! I totally went spastic! A fire induced labor would have been an interesting touch - glad that didn't happen. But you were right, I was Conner's supermom all night! Glad he thinks I rock...

    All-in-all, I'm fine though. Thanks guys. Nothing a little burn gel won't help cure!

    ReplyDelete

Comments! I LOVE Comments!

I Blog For...

BirminghamMommy