04 June 2008

Mashed Potato Poop.

That's what I feel like right now as I have Mastitis (AGAIN)! Luckily, it's the first time with this round of nursing but unfortunately it only means there's more to come. High-risk factors for recurrent mastitis (according to webmd.com) include:
- using a breast shield (check)
- history of mastitis (check)
- use of breast pads (check)
- you're anemic (eh, half check.. my dr. once told me that most small framed women have anemic episodes, and I do)
- you've skipped some breastfeeding sessions (check, we've started foods now so Chase is eating a slightly smaller amount of milk)

The flu-like aches coupled with the throbbing red, rock-like thing that WAS my boob are the worst symptoms. Thank you Mr. Pain Meds for your assistance. I've also started antibiotics.

This is probably all tmi for most of my readers... oh well... suck it up! But for those nursing mommies out there that've never experienced mastitis heed this warning: LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! If you feel flu-like, feverish, have a hot/warm spot on the breast, CALL YOUR DOCTOR! It will not go away on its own and can become abcessed.

Time for a nap.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, no! Amanda, if there is anything at all that I can do, please let me know. If you need someone to watch the kids while you rest, call me. And thanks for the warnings- very good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too sweet! With the meds, I'm trucking through this... but if it gets to be too much I'll crawl across the street. I hate that I have so many "oh woe is me" posts. I need to work on that. Btw - Rob was too funny going out the other afternoon like a knight to fight the power outage, then when it magically came back on ... BAM! Rob comes driving back to your house likes he's somehow responsible for restoring the power and we can all return to our previously scheduled lives, he's hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments! I LOVE Comments!

I Blog For...

BirminghamMommy