31 December 2008

Counting Sheep

Armed with a free sample of Ambien CR, I set out to bed last night expecting a few things:
1) Sleep
2) Hallucinations
3) That groggy feeling in the morning.

I’ve suffered from occasional insomnia since high school and after the great Amanda Doesn’t Sleep for 10 Whole Days Incident of my Senior Year, I’ve become rather paranoid about not going to bed on time. Call it my inner-dork, but I have a bedtime and darn it, I’m sticking to it. Now if only someone would tell my insides and my brains that so we could ALL WORK TOGETHER!

Right.

So, after a few weeks of having Issues with Sleep, I decided to pop 1 Ambien CR at around 8:15 (usually it takes 45 minutes for me to Feel the Effects and I wanted to be good and tired for my 9:15-9:30 bed time and I had a Really Long Day that I’ll tell you all about in a minute…).

At 8:40 I set out to nurse Chase to sleep and that’s when the hallucinations began. Oh man, when I had Conner back in 2-oh-oh-5 they gave me Real Ambien to help me get some sleep while they started the Cytotec. Two problems there: First, don’t give a pregnant woman sleeping medicine and then expect her to STAY AWAKE FOR 3 HOURS TO FILL OUT PAPER WORK THAT MIGHT BE VITAL TO HER LIVING! And secondly, The. Bed. Wouldn’t. Stop. Moving. As in full-on hallucinations I believed my bed to be on an ocean and kept asking Michael why he was moving my bed and the floors were moving and the walls were spinning and then there was That Commercial About Buying Alpacas…. So it was all really trippy and what-not. Needless to say, I’m SOOOO glad I’m not an LSD addict.


Oh yes, last night. So, I’m lying there expecting all these crazy hallucinations when suddenly the sleepy feeling sets it. But not the Drunk on Nyquil feeling I expected, but a pleasant drowsiness. Then, I began concentrating on the pillow on the other side of Chase. The way the light hit the ruffles in the pillow sham… wait… is that a sheep? Oh my! With the fan breaking up the light… and man… it looks soooo fluffy.

Thing is… I was conscious enough and informed enough about Ambien Hallucinations to KNOW that there was - IN FACT - no sheep in my bed. But it was kinda hilarious as I sat there, starring at it and all its BAH-RAM-EUWssss. I reached out to touch it, almost expecting the full on fleeciness associated with sheep to meet my fingers (no such feeling). I kept thinking my eyes would adjust and the sheep would disappear, but I just sat there starring and it stayed. No eyes, no mouth … just the entire side view of a sheep the size of my pillow.

Creepy.

After Chase was good and asleep, I came to say goodnight to Conner and Mike.

“Just so you know... if Chase wakes up it’ll be fine. He’s being protected by a fluffy lamb” I mumbled across our dark bedroom to Michael.

“You took the Ambien, didn’t you?” he replied.

And For The Record: I slept GREAT! This is the FIRST sleep-aid that I've taken that didn't make me feel like a groggy monster the next morning. I had vivid dreams, but nothing too odd (I dream alot, usual vivid and I almost always remember them anyways). Good stuff.

(Oh yes, I promised you guys news from the Cardiologist! Appointment was what wore me out yesterday, the news is good and I’ll type it up tonight! But it is interesting… so check back soon!)

4 comments:

  1. My mom took one back in the day when it was sans CR... she woke up (cause I came home) and saw 8 ceiling fans and thought she saw my dad in the kitchen and proceeded to talk to him .... he was in fact sleeping. fun stuff though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a regular Ambien once and the walls started moving and little people started walking out of the pages of a book and giving me advice.

    Needless to say never did that again. Glad to know I'm not the only one who hallucinates after taking Ambien.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! It takes me about 2 hours to go to sleep every night, but am terrified to take prescription sleep aids. If I think to I will pop a Tylenol pm but I rarely remember to. My mother-in-law took Ambien and developed this awful taste in her mouth.

    P.S. I just now noticed your comments! Yay! My friend Grace does my hair, she works at Amplify (a new salon in Old Cloverdale) but the color was from the box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina - Thankfully I don't get up while taking my night time meds. I tend to attempt to avoid awkward conversations in most settings.... with people who aren't there...

    Allison - Glad I didn't have gnomes roaming around my house. That'd of freaked me out WAAAAY more than a sheep.

    Abby - I use Tylenol PM occasionally, but I've found that it makes my eyes hurt in the morning. WEIRD! It also has a tendency not to work sometimes and then I just get frustrated. No weird taste got me though...

    ReplyDelete

Comments! I LOVE Comments!

I Blog For...

BirminghamMommy