10 February 2009

You Say Grande, I Say Medium

I will never forget walking into Starbucks at the Ferg for the first time, a Sophomore in college. I had never been much of a coffee person, and to be frank - I rarely drank caffeine back then (and not at all now), but after 2 weeks of getting up for my 8 a.m. Chemistry class I was desperate. So being that it was my first time to order anything other than a hot chocolate from a fancy schmancy coffee establishment, you can imagine how scared I was to see all the crazy Italian words on the big order board behind the counter. I just needed some stinkin' coffee that morning - not a Portachelli Machiavelli Ricco Sauve Ravioli Meatzaballi (...please)!

I ordered a Caramel Macchiato ... that is... I told the Kind Girl Behind the Counter that I wanted the "one with Caramel about 4 lines up on the second column"... and that I wanted it "medium sized" and "not over ice".

Sometime later in the semester, I got the meatballs to ask the Kind Girl Behind the Counter how to pronounce "macchiato" and I've never forgotten it since. And although I specifically recall 2 times when I needed a larger size, I always hesitated because I wasn't exactly sure how to pronounce 'Venti' (it is, btw, exactly how it looks... but when words sound exactly like they look in other languages, I always end up with a puzzled look and no confidence because surely it's a joke and it can't be that easy).

So when Mrs. Abby D. over at My Crazy Beautiful Life posted a Starbucks 101, I was THRILLED! I know I mentioned earlier about not drinking caffeine anymore, but that's only because I have severe reflux. I LURVE Carmel Macchiatos and Pumpkin Spice Lattes and the other 5 things I've had at Starbucks but that I've ordered by pointing because I was too afraid to attempt pronunciation...

Go on over and read her Guide To Morons That Order at Starbucks Tutorial on All Things Starbucks! It's brilliant!

5 comments:

  1. I've never even been to a Starbucks, but I hear their white chocolate hot cocoa (or something like that) is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!! I feel so famous! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, caramel macchiatos are my vice. I however, think Starbucks is crap. I frequented my favorite local coffee house in town, The Pour House... until the bank foreclosed it.

    I haven't had a caramel machiatto in 4 months. AGH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin - never been? Really? I've always thought of Starbucks as a "right of passage" into college-dom.

    Oh Abby, I'm such a B-list Mommy Blogger... Thanks for letting me link this!

    Christina - The Pour House went to the Poor House? Sadly, that's hysterical. I loved this little coffee shop near my old house in Birmingham... they had amazing white chocolate somethingorothers and equally fantastic chocolate chocolate chip muffins. Oh how I miss Birmingham.... *sigh*. Oh, and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I msut say, I was ENTHRALLED by this post amd HAD to go over to the "Starbucks 101" chick! :o) (THANKS!!) I now feel more educated..while, I knew how to prnounce all of these an usually dont have a complicated order, because I was too scared to place a complicated order...haha

    "Yes, I would LOVE to have a Grande White Mocha!"

    ReplyDelete

Comments! I LOVE Comments!

I Blog For...

BirminghamMommy