20 August 2009

7 Quick Takes: READ THE MANUAL

--1--

Walking into preschool today with both the boys, I notice a ginormously pregnant woman with a baby about Chase's age on one hip and a little boy about a year younger than Conner walking beside her holding her hand.

First, I'd like to point out that I believe the only reason other moms are so mesmerized by hugely preggos is because we look at them and think "DEAR JESUS?!?!? WAS I REALLY THAT BIG?!?!?!?". Seriously. It's not that you are a whale, we are just amazed that we were that big and how we kept wondering why OTHER people were starring at us.

Digression.

It's a good 60 yards from my car to the door. About halfway there I hear the little boy cough once, no biggie, but it was loud enough to catch my attention.

Then, as we get closer and are more condensed for filing in the door, the boy starts coughing in a deep, rattling, very very conjested cough full of phlem and snot and all things nasty. I stop short of turning around, sticking my finger in her face and exclaiming "GO HOME". Just when I think I might be overreacting - the baby sneezes alllllll ova da place.

Really?

I UNDERSTAND you are huge and pregnant and just want a break, but DUDETTE! Your kids are both OBVIOUSLY sick.
GO. HOME.
Didn't she read the manual?


--2--
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. It's nice to have Conner at school.


--3--
The boys won't sit still for the life of me for a photo-op, but just the other day, as I was finishing up my lunch, I looked down and realize they are lined up against the wall. And NOT MOVING. AND... they both have their butts covered. Those are my only requirements for a photo. Well, except that one with Conner and my boots in which I had to draw pants on him. 

Life's all about exceptions.

The bear is Chase's. He has some freaky infatuation with stuffed animals lately. Hope he doesn't turn out to be a Furry (or whatever the crap they call those people).









--4--
Speaking of furry and Chase, I DID cut his hair. He looks 12. He also seems to enjoy it because it means he isn't sweating all the time - just some of the time.



--5--
Totally gross of me to even post this on Teh Internets... but it's just weird. 

Conner came to me Thursday morning (yesterday) with about a 3rd of a half of a peanut in his hand. Puzzled, I asked where it came from and he said "I think it came out of me".

Even MORE puzzled (since we don't have any peanuts in the house...) I said "thanks" and sent him on his way back to the playroom. It took me a minute to realize that this might be the reason he's been "choking" on food all week... as in... he'd eat a normal sized meal and then mid-way through, have a gag reflex that would sometimes result in him actually throwing up. But it was always during meals and this only happened about 3-4 times. PLUS, he's been insistently more thirsty this week...

I called out to the playroom "Conner, did this come out of your throat?!?".

"Yes, mom!" he returned.

Well, ok then.
A peanut was stuck. In his throat. Since last Friday.


--6--
Many of you have asked how I am doing with The Weight and The Sick, and I am happy to report that I have stopped not-keeping-things-down. However, I can't BUDGE on the scale. The number stopped plummeting, but will not go up. At least, not yet.

I have an appointment this month with my endocrinologist as well as my G.I. and some semi-sketchy blood work to pour over with them.

As far as trying to gain weight, I'm drinking these stupid "milkshakes" 3 times a day. I've got to say - I am positively SICK of them. I have "good" ones and "there's no way I can finish this" ones.

The "good" ones are basically:
12 ounces Whole Milk (I usually drink 2%, but whole is yummy and full of fat... duh)
1 package Carnation Instant Breakfast
1-2 scoops Lots Of Fat Ice Cream
Then I shake it. Sha-sha-sha-sha-shakkke it.

Doesn't sound to bad, right?
Try doing it 3 times a day for 2 weeks. NOT COOL.


--7--
I'm considering volunteering at a local hospital. I've always been very interested in the medical field and my Dream Job involves me using my degree to do crisis management or patient relations or physician relations (a liaison between one of those parties and the hospital - you being the Voice of The Hospital). 

Anyhooters.

It only requires 4 hours a week and I can do it any day of the week. I'm thinking Saturdays or Sundays. 

OBVIOUSLY, I know it won't be "medical" related, but I don't have a medical degree, so what I am interested in is "hospital politics". Also, it's kind of a way for me to pay back all those who were so nice to my family when Chase was sick. I know what is it like to be in That Place and That Low and see a smiling face and someone willing to help you do even the smallest of things (directions, carry a bag, entertain a child for 2.5 seconds...).

Anyone ever done this or know anything about it?




For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary.

3 comments:

  1. Holy sheesh...that mom DID need to take her kids home PRONTO! I hope the teachers told her that. Them co-pays for the sick baybays get expensive, they do.

    His haircut looks cute! Good job! I can't even imagine what Dean's hair would look like if I cut it. He has a really deep part (think Mr. Low-part on Handy Manny) that is hard enough to brush, let alone trim!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That volunteer job sounds cool. Yay! I like the haircut, too and I don't think he looks 12. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That peanut story is freaky!

    ReplyDelete

Comments! I LOVE Comments!

I Blog For...

BirminghamMommy