23 October 2009

Poppy Seed Chicken

O guys, I'm living off casseroles. And not just any casserole, but poppy seed chicken ones. This slightly sinful chicken dish is a frat and sorority house staple at Alabama and I am madly in love with it.

As a matter of fact, I made two 13x9 pans of this stuff yesterday... that's 3 lbs of chicken.

I ate it 4 times yesterday.

It's only 10:12 AM and I've already had a bowl of it...

Hi, my name is Amanda and I'm a Poppy  Seed Chicken A Holic.

hi, amanda
(don't you DARE try and stage an intervention)

Here's what you need:
1 lb. of chicken - boiled then shredded
1 can of Cream of Mushroom soup
8 ounces of sour cream
1/4 cup milk (I prefer whole)
1 tablespoon poppyseeds
1 package Ritz crackers
1/3 stick butter

Preheat oven to 350. Place your boiled and shredded chicken in the bottom of a lightly greased13x9 dish. In a seperate bowl, mix the sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, milk and poppseeds (lightly pepper and salt). Mix well. Pour mixture over the chicken, spreading it evenly. Crush the package of ritz and pour over the top. Drizzle (hate that word) melted butter over ritz and sprinkle a few more poppyseeds.

Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.

Carefully remove from oven. Salivate over your casserole dish. Find fork. Stick fork in less-than-obvious place (I recommend the corners). Take a bite. Realize bite is super hot. Administer the "backwards blow" without much success because frankly? The bite is already scalding your tongue and no amount of backwards blowing will do you any good at this point.

Wait 5 minutes and actually serve yourself a big helping.

I feel that this dish is best reheated. It gives the chicken time to take on the tanginess of the sour cream and the other flavors to really mingle. Noteworthy: I actually hate sour cream but this doesn't taste a THING like sour cream.


ENJOY!

8 comments:

  1. would you just make and deliver? I'd share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This on top of the boots.....you are sooo a closet sorostitue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No intervention here...butter, sour cream, and Ritz crackers sound like a winning combination to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, now I'm starving. That sounds delicious? Do you think it would ship well to Boston?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know why I put a question mark after "delicious" in my previous comment. I'm clearing suffering from a low blood sugar level. Need Poppy Seed Chicken - STAT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We make that, too. DH's sister taught us. We've removed the poppy seeds and added mushrooms of late though and it makes it even better, IMO. Also, sometimes we add crushed nuts to the crackers. It's a house staple. It's especially good when you need a meal w/ leftovers. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did the same thing about a months ago when hubby was out of town. I polished off the whole casserole in about 3 days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. dear god this is my FAVORITE casserole!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments! I LOVE Comments!

I Blog For...

BirminghamMommy