27 November 2009

Text and Learn?

I passed by this toy at Target last week while Santa shopping charging our credit cards into oblivion browsing the shelves for good deals:
 

It's the Leap Frog Text and Learn... and it made my brain go all "OK.SERIOUSLY?".

I can't quite figure this one out. First off, teaching our children a commonly/frequently used social medium actually a good thing, right? Isn't this something they are going to learn and actually use anyways... so it's not all that bad of an idea? Or is it just meant to be a toy that happens to also teach texting? Is he going to want a media plan for his 5th birthday?

I just don't know. I mean... he understand the whole "keyboard on a small device" concept anyways, so it's not all that mind blowing -- I suppose it's just "interesting". I guess the only odd part I have a hard time wrapping my head around is that this makes me think learning to text is equal to learning to type. Is that strange to you?

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I dunno about that... My son already likes to grab my phone, put it to his ear and go "Heddo?" I dont' want him learning to text, especially with the predictive text on my phone! Lord only knows what he'd send, probably to my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give him a few years yet before he needs to learn to text.

    Maybe next year you can hook him up with a cell phone contract for his 5th bday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sad, that's all i know to say...sad, sad, sad.

    ReplyDelete

Comments! I LOVE Comments!

I Blog For...

BirminghamMommy