18 November 2009

Thanksgiving Suggestions I Don't Suggest Passing Up. Hint, Hint


Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and if your 4-year-old is anything like my 4-year-old, they are talking approximately 6.784 million words per minute about the impending holidays.

Conner, in particular, wants to know everything he can about Indians or pilgrims or turkey or more Indians. Can’t blame him either, I dream of Thanksgiving and all it’s delicious accompaniments from basically the first good cold breeze.

But being a young mom and new to the whole family traditions process is a difficult transition. Which is why we tech-savvy individuals should take advantage of all that Moms Who Think have to offer.

I’ve personally combed their resources for a few heavy-hitting Turkey Day helpers, and here are a few of my favorites. (Thank me now, or later... I sure love cashmere) (and money)

First up, Thanksgiving activities. Let’s face it - it’s darn right chilly outside (if we aren’t going through some freak 80+ “heat wave”… *aghem* I’m looking at you, last week…). Nothing says “indoor Crazy Feast” like cooped up kiddos. So I suggest this time-consuming activity to breath some sanity into your life, keep those children busy AND personalize your Thanksgiving dinner.

Thanksgiving Place Mats instructions.

Place mats! It’s really a great idea. First, and most importantly, it’s a wonderful conversation piece that the grandparents will swoon over. You rack up Mom Of The Year points, and have an adorable souvenir for years to come.

I’d recommend laminating them (try your local library or hit up a teacher friend).

Of course, there’s also the Preschool Favorite hand print turkey. Maybe you could do hand turkeys on each place mat !

Also, I’d suggest using thicker stock paper, such as scrapbook paper. It’s thick enough to handle multiple Handprint Turkeys on the finished woven creation from your little Pilgrims. If you plan on putting hand print turkeys on the woven mats, I'd also suggest "backing" your mats with a solid piece of paper. Once completed, glue the woven mat to the solid piece, concentrating on the edges. This will preserve the structure. Look at me... I sound all crafty....

Next up, a few of my personal favorite recipes. Moms Who Thinks have a plethora of helpful recipes.



I’m no stranger to the traditional holiday dessert, Pecan Pie.

My mom’s is the world’s best and this recipe is oddly familiar to it. (I’m looking at you, mom)

Are you responsible for the dressing? I’d suggest this one: Old Fashioned Bread Stuffing.
It incorporates all of the classic ingredients that are sure to please your picky mother-in-law.

Of course, letting the kids help out can be a hassle, but they are more likely to eat that cornbread if they helped make it. This is a fabulous idea from Moms Who Think that encourages you to let the wee hands help out. I know Conner would enjoy being my helper. (Helpful suggestion: Instead of using all white bread, mix white bread and cornbread, using the cornbread the kids helped you bake for the stuffing.)

Instead of scouring the internet for other helpful Thanksgiving recipes, just check out the MomsWhoThink recipe section.

* Edible photos courtesy of MomsWhoThink
**Please see my Full Disclosure. MomsWhoThink.com provided a small monetary compensation for this post.  I only take paids gigs for sites or products I endorse. That means I both enjoy MomsWhoThink AND was paid to talk about it. It’s a win-win.

3 comments:

  1. I had no idea there was a plug until I got to the disclaimer. Good job!

    As for the edible photos, that pecan pie sure does look good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not ask me why but I have always been afraid to make pecan pie. I make a killer pecan square though.

    I will be making your stuffing suggestion. My MIL's makes me gag haha.

    Thank you for the tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Author www.themomjob.net !
    In it something is. Now all became clear to me, I thank for the information.

    ReplyDelete

Comments! I LOVE Comments!

I Blog For...

BirminghamMommy