19 January 2010

FINALLY Fried Rice Recipe

I've battled the Fried Rice Hates Me Monster for over a year now. Even after my mom bought me a wok for (LAST!!) Christmas! It's all over now. I've defeated you, silly FRHM Monster.

Basically, I started with this recipe http://chinesefood.about.com/od/ricefried/r/basicfriedrice.htm

I used 3-4 cups cooked, long grain, white rice that cooled for about 8 hours. I started as the recipe says with 2 tablespoons of oil in my wok and lightly scrambled the eggs. Basically, I left them a little runny for my taste, but they harden up once you re-add them to the mixture after the rice is cooked.


Then, I removed the eggs and added 2 more tablespoons of oil, let it heat (about a minute) and added my rice. The key here is to use a wooden spoon to break it up (rice shouldn't be stuck together in the end). After stirring for about 2 minutes, I added a bit of soy sauce (probably about 2 tablespoons). Basically, I didn't want to add too much (a mistake I've made before), so I added little by little until most of my rice was a light brown color.

Next, I added my chopped green onions (3-4 medium sized stalks) (because I like my green onion to be just slightly cooked as opposed to not cooked at all) and then the egg. I stirred for another minute and removed it from heat and added a 1/2 ground ginger (I buy the pre-ground type in a jar) as well as a 1/2 teaspoon oyster sauce.

Another previous mistake was using a yellow sweet onion instead of the green. This mistake caused my fried rice to take on an odd sweet taste, because really the ginger is responsible for bringing the sweet to fried rice.

Also, I was using too much oil but thought what made it seem more oily was the type of oil I used. Today, I simply used what I had on hand - canola oil (I use it because it's healthier than veggie oil), not a fancy sesame oil or wok oil mixture (although I have in the past), but only used the recommended 2 tablespoons.

I hope this helps anyone that's ever gone through batch after batch of less-than-awsome fried rice! I've been eating out of the pan for over an hour!
blog comments powered by Disqus

I Blog For...

BirminghamMommy